Reflections on the Traveller’s Spirit


The Autumn Equinox marks the beginning of shorter days and longer nights.  It is the time of harvest and reflection on this journey that we collectively and individually travel. This is also a time of reflection, and second chances.  I ask myself where I am going, and reaffirm my true intentions.  I check back with my vision and passion and reconnect with my own “earth” to ground myself.  I love the season of fall because it is a chance to step back and take stock.  
  • Where am I going? What is my true intention?
  • How do I affect others in my travels, in the things that I do, and my behaviours. 
  • Am I a taker or a giver?  
  • Do I give more than I take?
  • Is what I am doing of worth to someone besides me?
  • Is what I am doing feeding my creativity? 
  • Am I where I should be, or is it time to move on?
I am a traveller as are we all.  I am always looking down the road and wondering what’s out there. I believe the present is just that, and the future is possibility.  I believe that envisioning the future is 99% of making it happen.  I believe that intention leads to outcomes, and that there are no accidents, or luck. 

Two years ago, I entered the magazine publishing business. I bought SKY Magazine, a then five-year- old publication. Since then I have created eight issues, each one a representation of my journey as a publisher and human being. 

Each issue of SKY Magazine embodies the changing of the seasons, and what that means to us as travellers.  The Fall SKY is in line with the Autumn Equinox. I found it interesting to learn that on the day of both the Spring and Autumn Equinox, there is an equal amount of day and night.  The Summer Solstice is the longest day of the year, and the Winter Solstice, the shortest. The Autumn Equinox is said to the point of balance, before we tip into longer nights and shorter days. 

When I look at the SKY, I can’t help but fall in love because it truly is a labour of love for me. I just released the Fall SKY Red Issue last week online.  The cover story is the The Traveller’s Journey, brought to life by Fallon Huffman, owner of Queen V Fashion House among other enterprises.  I chose Fallon to help me tell this story because she embodies the traveller’s spirit, and she has a story that inspires. Over the past two years, I have worked with Fallon to promote the Queen V business, but there was another side to this traveller that I could see, that I thought the world should see too.  

As I set out to tell the 'traveller’s story, I asked Fallon to share hers.  We sat down one day to talk about her vision, not just her business. It takes courage to step out in front of the pack. To be the cover of SKY Magazine is to give of oneself so that others may learn and be inspired.

After 20 years of writing corporate visions, I know that a true vision is a universal truth that touches each of us. When there is no vision, “wordsmithing" ensues, for hours and drafts. Back then, I got paid to manufacture visions.  Now I cut to the chase and work with true leaders, not the manufactured variety.  

A true vision is the mark of a true leader.  It is important to me that the cover story embodies the characteristics of a leader.  Since leaving my corporate world behind, I made a conscious decision to seek out the true leaders.  I also made a conscious decision to leave behind people who do not embody the qualities of a leader.  I made a decision to own my vision, and not sacrifice it on the alter of a leaderless ego.

A leader is someone who steps out in front so that others may learn and be better for it. A leader is someone who treats others with respect and dignity. A leader does the right things for the right reasons. A leader knows when to follow.  In my work as a corporate planner for more than 20 years, I saw what happens when the wrong person is put in a leadership positions.  Literally, lives can be ruined.  Quite honestly, in my business life now, I would rather walk away from these people and their money than endure them or promote them in any way.  And I do.  

I would like to thank Fallon Huffman for bringing the spirit of the traveller to life on the cover of SKY Magazine and for sharing her true vision. Her story is inspiring to me and I hope to others as well.   

Comments