Practicing in the Wind

I recently read that fall is the season governed by the Ayurvedic vata dosha.  I don't pretend to understand the ancient art and science of yoga. I  am a student of yoga. So I am learning.  But when I read about the winds of a vata-induced tailspin that takes one away from the centre and throws one out of balance, I could relate.

Vata Dosha governs movement in the body. It controls blood flow, elimination of wastes, breathing and movement of thoughts across the mind. 

Our daughter and son-in-law recently welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world. My special name for him is "King."  As in King of the Jungle. I think of the song, the "Lion sleeps tonight" when he finally falls asleep. He is a big boy, born at 10 pounds, 1 ounce, but he is a newborn. So his challenges are many. Born only 11 days ago, his life on the outside is consumed with how to get enough of his food source that was literally delivered to him on demand on the inside.  

Wind or vata is a big deal in his life.  So this little King goes from food seeking, to food obtaining, to expelling gas.  It's not easy being a baby.  His mom and dad are physically exhausted as new parents tend to be. (I remember being so tired I thought I would die).  If I could do one thing over, I told my daughter, I would live in this moment and remember it forever.  As she was slumped in a chair, feeding her little boy, she looked at me as if to say, 'yoga mumbo jumbo isn't helping mom'. 

Managing the vata in our lives tends to include what we eat, the type of pranayama and asana we practice (breath and movement).  Having time to be still with ourselves is also part of it, but we tend to ignore that practice of meditating when life gets crazy.  It's hard to stop, but we must at least slow down. 

I tend to be a very aggressive practitioner of life. My yoga practice reflects that.  So I am purposely changing the way I approach my yoga practice, in the hope that it will help me slow down and find the stillness in the moments.  Maybe if I can do that, others can too. 

Inspiration:   


Comments

  1. A Grandmama :) Congratulations !


    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. It's the most amazing thing in the world, I think because I appreciate it. G-babies are all about second chances, and hope.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I would love to hear your comments. Thanks and have an awesome day. - Lynn