If Furniture Could Talk

We bought a brown leather couch and matching brown Lazy Boy recliner over 10 years ago to weather the teenage storms that seemed to surround our daughters. Over the years, countless teenagers have lounged on our couch, often at the same time.  Our cats loved the couch too, especially when we lit the fireplace.

The leather seemed to absorb the heat.  Over the years, the leather just got better. It saw family Christmas, movie and popcorn nights, birthdays and anniversaries. We sold the brown leather couch last weekend to another family where it will collect new memories.

Our new couch arrived yesterday.  It's nice.  We chose a khaki brown modern design with a low profile. The new sofa is cloth, so it's warmer, and I like that.  The best part is the end section is a lounger. I always wanted one of those because I always fall asleep when we watch movies.

There are many other pieces that tell the story of our life.  There is what is now known as "Bubba's Chair", a rust wing chair that we bought in 1983 that was taken over by our family dog Bubba Louis.  The cushion was destroyed so we threw it out. Bubba Louis left us two years ago, but we are still finding his hair in the chair.  Now the chair sits in my daughter's bedroom who now lives in another city.

There's the story of a vintage oak rocker that I rescued from my husband's (then boyfriend's) party house. The chair originally was made by my husband's great grandfather, in which his great grandmother rocked her son, my husband's grandfather.  The story is the chair was built in 1902.  The wood is soft and worn. We rocked our babies in that chair too.

There's the chair that my daughter brought home mysteriously one day, a vintage original Lazy Boy, which is the same one that we used in a family photo shoot, and also appears on my website. I can't let go of that one either.



Comments

  1. Oh Lynn, this post is beautiful! And yes, your couch and chair are lovingly starting a new adventure. We are very appreciative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I would love to hear your comments. Thanks and have an awesome day. - Lynn