My body, my brand.


I am 52 and this is my body, my brand.
I am a business woman, a grandmother, a wife,  and so much more.

When you look at me, you might see these things, but you have no idea who I am.
You only see what your own perceptions can perceive.

When I look in the mirror, I see things.
Tracks of my life etched in my skin.

Things that are hidden from your view.
Things are are not acceptable to the naked eye.
Things that bear witness to my experiences. Things that would make you look away.

You wish I was still the way you remember me,
but that can never be.
I never was that way.
I never was that person.
She was only your reflection.

This body that carries me
carried life, gave birth, battled illness,
lived through disappointment,
struggled to sustain.

That body carried me
from that day to this,
but that body is not me,
just what you see.

My body is stronger than ever before
because of conviction and experience.
That is something I wish you could see.
Instead of wishing I was better,
I wish you could see me for who I am.
I wish you could see that.





Comments