The Legality of Abuse

A person is standing in front of a moving vehicle, and you do nothing. He is ploughed over.

In the world of rules and laws, there are some things that I have learned recently about what I like to call legally supported harassment.

In a situation where someone is being bullied and harassed, we have little or no control as an outsider.  The person who is suffering is the only person who can stop it. The problem is, that person is suffering and living in a nightmare. That person is making deals with his or her abuser, and hoping that things get better. That person is suffering through the death of something that was once special to him or her, so the emotions are high, ranging from anger to remorse, to forgiveness, and back again.

Recently I tried to step in and help someone.  I was told there was nothing I could do, that the person suffering would need to come forward.

That person was unable to come forward, I told them. He was suffering under an emotional weight. His health is suffering as a result. He has trouble processing what was happening like anyone would who is living on the inside of abuse.

Was we supposed to watch it happen, I asked them.

They told me once again they could do nothing for this person unless he were to come forward himself. Again, I repeated the reasons that he could not and what my concern was.

We went back and forth a couple of rounds like this, until I pulled out the big guns, as it were. Documentation.

"So now that you know about this potential risk, and I know about it, who is responsible for the life of this person should that person be hurt or worse yet. . ."

Pause on the other end of the phone. The risk of self liability prevails over another's human suffering. Who would be accountable if a person standing in front of a moving vehicle were at risk, and I did nothing?

There was an intervention of sorts, not because of human caring, but because of documentation and the risk of liability.








Comments